Debbie Millman has taken a rather unconventional approach to the process of brand strategy. The discipline of the visual narrative has been the driving force behind her work as writer, educator and a brand consultant....
Debbie Millman has taken a rather unconventional approach to the process of brand strategy. The discipline of the visual narrative has been the driving force behind her work as writer, educator and a brand consultant.
Here are a few of the highlights from our conversation
- How working on a student newspaper shaped Debbie’s career
- The role that the contemporary culture of 70’s influenced Debbie’s art
- How brands influence of our emotions and impacted Debbie’s life
- Finding vehicles that help you to navigate the turbulence of life
- Why you need interesting enough reasons to create your art
- The reason you’re not entitled to make any money from your art
- Having endeavors that are purely creative and not about making money
- Why there is no amount of money that will make you safe
- Living in a 140 character culture and why it’s not success
- Why success is earned over a series of accomplishments
- The reason finding success in your 20’s is not the common
- Recognizing moments that mold us into who we are
- Learning to identify the difference between failure and defeat
- The common denominator of self doubt that we all share
- The danger of becoming satisfied with the quality of your work
- Why growing older gives you much more material to work with
- Mixing different art forms and pulling from different disciplines
- Understanding why people are attracted to certain brands and experiences
- The power and necessity of deliberate differentiation
Debbie Millman. is a writer, educator, artist, brand consultant and host of the radio show Design Matters
Resources and People Mentioned
Writers on Loving and Leaving New York
A Resume of my Failures
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
The Unmistakable Collective is a monthly membership for writers, bloggers, podcasters, and content creators. It's your one-stop shop for creativity. You'll have access to workshops, AMA's, and accountability from other like-minded peers to help you accomplish any creative goals! It doesn't matter what type or style - we've got something in store, whether it be blogging as a hobbyist, starting up a business with no experience under YOUR belt (or skin), or launching a podcast.
Click Here to Become a Member