Debbie Millman has taken a rather unconventional approach to the process of brand strategy. The discipline of the visual narrative has been the driving force behind her work as writer, educator and a brand consultant....
Debbie Millman has taken a rather unconventional approach to the process of brand strategy. The discipline of the visual narrative has been the driving force behind her work as writer, educator and a brand consultant.
Here are a few of the highlights from our conversation
- How working on a student newspaper shaped Debbie’s career
- The role that the contemporary culture of 70’s influenced Debbie’s art
- How brands influence of our emotions and impacted Debbie’s life
- Finding vehicles that help you to navigate the turbulence of life
- Why you need interesting enough reasons to create your art
- The reason you’re not entitled to make any money from your art
- Having endeavors that are purely creative and not about making money
- Why there is no amount of money that will make you safe
- Living in a 140 character culture and why it’s not success
- Why success is earned over a series of accomplishments
- The reason finding success in your 20’s is not the common
- Recognizing moments that mold us into who we are
- Learning to identify the difference between failure and defeat
- The common denominator of self doubt that we all share
- The danger of becoming satisfied with the quality of your work
- Why growing older gives you much more material to work with
- Mixing different art forms and pulling from different disciplines
- Understanding why people are attracted to certain brands and experiences
- The power and necessity of deliberate differentiation
Debbie Millman. is a writer, educator, artist, brand consultant and host of the radio show Design Matters
Resources and People Mentioned
Writers on Loving and Leaving New York
A Resume of my Failures
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.
Maximize Your Output With Mem
The knowledge generation course for coaches, consultants, content creators, and small business owners who want to access and use their knowledge to create content, build a body of work, and grow their business. Enrollment for October Cohort is Now Open.
Click Here to Learn More